Deputy News Editor
NowThis News, the new digital video news network for the mobile and social generation, is looking for a super smart news editor who'll be a crucial part of our highly creative and collaborative team.
NowThis News officially launched on iPhone and iPad in November 2012 and we're growing like crazy. Our team came here from CNN, The Washington Post, ABC News, NBC, Vice Media, The Huffington Post, NPR, PBS, BedRocket Media, AllThingsD, CollegeHumor, and the comedy world -- and our workplace is nice, cool, and fun. We work in a studio space in midtown Manhattan.
The deputy editor will work closely with the Multi-Platform Editor to source, publish and curate content across our webpage, apps, and partner channels. On a given day, you’ll get up early and get on top of the day’s news, identifying can’t-miss stories of the day -- both mainstream headlines and the under-reported stories that will appeal to a millennial audience. Then you’ll help craft irresistible headlines, write copy to surround the videos, find eye-catching photos, and publish the stories to our Rebel Mouse page, iOS and Android apps, and help coordinate with our various partner sites.
What We're Looking For:
- A news junkie with their finger on the pulse of breaking stories and a good sense for what makes a story worth covering.
- A couple years experience working in online media, ideally in a newsroom.
- Social media obsessives who live on Twitter and Facebook, and love hearing about the good stories first.
- A strong writer with flawless grammar, a hatred for typos and an ear for great headlines that are practically impossible not to click.
- Strong organizational skills. A big part of the job is helping keep us organized and on top of upcoming events - from art openings in NYC to breaking news overseas.
- An eye for beautiful photos, with experience in image-sourcing and Photoshop.
- Hard workers. We work long and sometimes flexible hours. If you’re looking for a 9-5, this isn’t for you.
- Enthusiastic team-players. We’re a startup working in a fast-changing newsroom, and need someone who can adjust to changes and take on new challenges with a smile.
- A deep-seated love for ice hockey and baby animals learning to walk over slow jazz is a huge plus.
This is a full-time, salaried position based in our New York offices. We work at a demanding pace that requires all-hands on deck during occasional nights and weekends.
Send a cover letter and resume to jobs at nowthismedia dot com